Friday, June 25, 2010

In a restless world, like this is...

I just watched a movie (please, try to hide your surprise) called Timer. It's set in a future where a device called the Timer has been invented. The Timer is implanted into your wrist and it counts down to the day when you will meet your "soulmate" and goes off like an oven timer the first time you make eye contact with them. The main character had a Timer that is blank, meaning her match hasn't gotten a Timer. She has a sister who found out when she got her Timer at 14 that she wouldn't meet her match until she was 43 and a 14 year old brother who gets his Timer and is supposed to meet his match the next day. While I was watching, I had to wonder: would I want a Timer? Would I want to be told by an egg timer who I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with?

No. Maybe it's because I don't believe there is just one person for everyone, maybe it's because I don't believe in fate. Maybe it's because I think that love is a choice rather than a chemical reaction. Maybe it's because I'm afraid of what the timer might say. At any rate, I'll take the risk of making my own choices.

2 comments:

  1. What if you thought your soulmate was ugly? That wouldn't be good either, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually explains in the movie that when you meet your "soul mate" you may not like them. You may be enemies. It may take years for you to fall in love. The company doesn't guarantee how the relationship will develop, only that this is the person that you are "meant" to be with. It sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me.

    ReplyDelete